header pics1500

CORNWALL LADIES COUNTY GOLF ASSOCIATION

clcga thumb 

 Minutes of the Delegates Meeting held at Merlin Golf Club

on 22nd February 2017 at 11.30 am

Present:

Officers:Cynthia Penhale (President) Helen Davey (Vice-President) Sue Roworth (County Captain) Vicki Stevenson (Vice-Captain) Margaret Swayne ( Hon.Treasurer) Angela Anderson (Hon.Secretary) Pearl Carne (Competition Secretary) Cath Andrew (U-18 Junior Organiser) Patricia Davies (Press Officer)

Delegates and club representatives: Chris Simmons (Bude and NC) Ros Thomas (Cape Cornwall) Jill Jones (Carlyon Bay) Kath Kelly (Falmouth) Pat Crowson (Killiow) Rita Worswick (Lanhydrock) Bridget Christophers (Launceston) Jill Simmons (Mullion) Lorna Parfitt (Newquay) Jacquie Lang (Perranporth) Elaine Harper (St.Austell) Evelyn Postles (St. Mellion) Anna Harris (The Point at Polzeath) Jane Watts (Trevose) Mary Robson (Truro) Edwina Thomas (West Cornwall)

  1. Apologies for Absence: Sue Phillips (U-14 Junior Organiser) Di Peat (Isles of Scilly) Jenny Dunbar (Looe) Joyce Pinhey (Whitsand Bay) Judy Harris (Praa Sands) Brenda Morton (Porthpean) Karen Whitby (China Fleet) Trudy Tremain (St.Enodoc).

    At the commencement of the meeting Sue Roworth welcomed those present, and announced that Barbara Barlow, delegate for Budock Vean, had recently passed away. On behalf of the CLCGA she offered condolences to her family and friends.

  2. Minutes of Delegates Meeting held on 12th October 2016 – (already circulated) - to be confirmed. 
    The County Captain signed the Minutes as a true and accurate record.

  3. Matters Arising:

    1. League Rules and Conditions of Play – confirmation
      Angela informed the delegates that the amendments made to the Conditions of Play in 2016 had all been confirmed as required at the AGM in December. She will shortly update the record of conditions and amend the list of delegates’ decisions to reflect the changes. Copies will be sent to all clubs with the Minutes. Depending on the decisions made today, further amendments relating to item 3(b) will be included and highlighted as provisional. These will be developed and confirmed as more decisions are made later in the year.

    2. League Winners Play-off Competition
      The County Captain introduced this item by reminding delegates that the suggestion, made by Killiow Ladies, of an end-of-season play-off between the winners of the four League divisions for a Club Championship Trophy had been approved at the delegates meeting in October 2016. She sought confirmation that this approval stood, after discussion with their club members and committees. A show of hands produced 9 votes in favour, 6 votes against, and four abstentions. In addition, Angela informed the meeting that three of the clubs who had sent apologies had specifically stated their approval of the competition, with none expressing opposition. On this basis it was agreed to proceed with discussion of the arrangements to be put in place.

      The Officers proposed that the competition should take place on 15th October 2017, at Merlin GC. Because Merlin does not currently have a League team, it is guaranteed to offer a neutral venue. The event will involve three 18-hole matches, using the format and conditions currently applied in all league matches. When the League winners are confirmed a draw will take place at Jubilee Scramble on Sunday 8th October, which will set out two 18-hole matches to be played on the morning of Sunday 15th, with the winners proceeding to an 18-hole final played in the afternoon. Because this will require two teams to play 36-holes on that day, it was proposed that clubs could bring a squad of players, allowing for substitutions and adjustments in the composition of the teams between the matches. All players in the squad must have played at least two League matches during the course of the season.

      These proposals were discussed, with delegates raising some queries and seeking further clarification of some aspects of the arrangements. It was agreed that if a club was unable to raise a team on the appointed day, their play-off match would be conceded and their opponents would progress to the final. It was also agreed that there would be no play-off for third and fourth places. The afternoon final would take place from approximately 2pm, and be followed by a presentation of the trophy and a meal to which all players, supporters and spectators will be invited. These arrangements will now be discussed and developed in consultation with Merlin GC, with further confirmation at the Delegates Meeting scheduled for 7th June 2017. It was also agreed that arrangements for future years would be considered and reviewed at the Delegates Meeting scheduled for 19th October 2017, after this year’s competition has taken place.

  4. Officers Updates: brief reports, reflecting the early stages of the 2017 season, were offered by all the officers present.

    1. Captain: Sue reported that practice sessions had taken place with the first and second teams combined. A pink-ball challenge was attended by 14 players, and a further practice is planned for this coming Sunday at The Point at Polzeath, with matches to follow. She is looking forward to the year, and reminded delegates that the EG Medal Regional Final for 2017 will take place at Tehidy on 3rd May. A particular target for the county team is South-West Match Week, which rotates annually across the six south-western counties. Having been regular runners-up, the team hopes to build on their success this year in Wiltshire and defend their title in 2018, when South-West Match Week will be held at St.Enodoc.
    2. Vice-Captain: Vicki also reported that training sessions have been held for the second team, with a match planned against the county Seniors at Truro in May. The first South-West match will take
      place in June.

    3. Secretary and EG voting member: Angela stated that she had no specific events to report, but took the opportunity to remind delegates that this is the third and final year of her term of office. She intends to stand down in December, believing that the Association benefits from a rotation of officers and the inclusion of fresh faces and ideas. She is seeking a replacement, and asked delegates to discuss the role with any potential candidates, and encourage their interest. She will send out a brief job description with the Minutes, and would be more than happy to be contacted for further information by anyone considering the role. If a replacement can be found during the year and offered some involvement, it will ease their entry and enable a smooth transition.

    4. Treasurer: Margaret stated that we currently have £19,000 in the bank - last year’s figure was £21,300.    The main reason for this drop is that we are now collecting your subscriptions in a totally different way. The CLCGA and CGU have jointly purchased new software.    This calculates all subscriptions for the men and ladies for England Golf and the County Union and Association.

      The software is being administered by Chris Pountney of CGU and she has agreed with him that he forwards the subscriptions to us at regular intervals.     So although clubs will have paid their subscriptions we might not have it in our account at the moment. The plus side for her is that Chris is contacting all the clubs and the software is producing easy to read details of the payments received.

      Chris has also forwarded the County Card money for the Ladies for 2016 this amounted to £904.50 an increase of £180 from 2015.

      We have received over £2,000 in entry fees already for the 2017 meetings and are looking forward to a good year of golf.

    5. Competition Secretary: Pearl reported that the seasons starts with the Mixed Greensomes at Trevose and it is an indication of the popularity of the competition and venue that she currently has 55 entries. There are a few places left, but she suggested that anyone interested should act quickly to enter. However, at present she has only 3 entries for the County Championships at Mullion in April, so she asked delegates to remind their club members. May will see the Bronze Spring Meeting at Falmouth, followed by the Silver Spring Meeting at China Fleet. She concluded that she looks forward to seeing those present at our competitions throughout the year.

    6. Junior Organisers: Cath reported that since her last report the girls have begun their Winter Development Academy sessions with their new coach, Katie Rule, from Mullion.  These sessions have been held at Mullion Golf Club with the help of support coach Grant Slater, from Carlyon Bay and together they have been focussing on the girls’ short game skills and using Katie’s Trackman and Zenio to help with their swing analysis, whilst also getting some invaluable practice on the course which will be beneficial to those girls who are entering into the Ladies Championships this year. Looking ahead, we have our first friendly matches, both home and away, against Devon coming up in April. 

      The Under 15 Girls County Championship and Futures Cup will be held at Killiow Golf Club on the 28th May alongside the Boys Under 14 County Championships. The Girls County Championships will be held at West Cornwall Golf Club on the 18th June alongside the Boys County Championships. I have also set up an Order of Merit scratch and handicap competition between all the County girls this year which will run alongside the Junior Opens.  This will hopefully boost entry numbers for all the clubs concerned as they were low last year. Cath concluded by reporting the exceptional golf played by Danielle Price of Perranporth in carding a gross score of 68 at the course recently, and congratulated her on a new handicap of 3.6’
       

  5. Fixtures 2017/2018: Angela drew attention to a printed list of Open competitions for 2017, which she had compiled from the posters brought to the AGM. There were copies for each delegate to be collected. She also referred to copies of the poster advertising the Club Team competition, to be played at The Point at Polzeath on June 11th 2017 as a county qualifier for the national final to be held at Woodhall Spa in August. She asked delegates to take a copy for display at their club and encourage entries. There will be prizes on the day, but a good entry will also enable the CLCGA and the CGU to subsidise the team that qualifies for Woodhall by helping with expenses. If the competition goes well this year, it will be held annually, enabling one Cornish team to qualify for the national final each year.

  6. Any Other Business: A number of items were raised as AOB. Angela stated that she has received two new club medical certificates to enable members to use buggies in county competitions, and will send out an updated list of current certificate holders with the Minutes to act as a reminder that they will need to be renewed in the coming year.

    She also informed delegates of a project for the recruitment of Junior girls which is being organised by the Development Officer, Jamie Tresidder, with support from the CLCGA. Information has been sent to all clubs asking for a response if they wish to be involved. She emphasised the importance of this recruitment drive and the benefits that can accrue to the clubs who take part, as well as the benefits of co-operation for the county and for golf in Cornwall. On this basis she asked delegates to draw attention to the project at their club and among the lady members.

    Pearl Carne also raised an item relating to the cost of competitions and the increasing expense of food at a number of clubs. The CLCGA currently offers £13 to competition venues for a two course meal, and covers this charge in the competition entry fee. It is unlikely, however, that this will be sufficient in 2017/18 and suggested that entry could rise from £20 to £22 by 2018. There was some discussion regarding reducing the meal to a single course as an alternative, with a general preference expressed for retaining two courses. Pearl asked the delegates to discuss the options with their members, and the item will be considered again at the meeting in June.

    The meeting concluded with Sue Roworth reporting the success of Bude and North Cornwall GC in finishing as runners-up in the Mail on Sunday finals held in Spain recently. She asked the delegate and current Ladies Secretary from Bude, Chris Simmons, who was also last year’s Lady Captain, to convey the congratulations of the officers and delegates of the CLCGA to the team and supporters on their achievement.

  7. Date of Next Meeting:
    Wednesday 7th June

Angela Anderson
Hon Sec CLCGA